Get help and support
What is online gambling?
Online gambling is gambling you do on your phone or computer. Apps and websites allow you to bet on horses or sports and play casino games and pokies.
Why is online gambling risky?
You can do it anytime of the day or night without taking a break.
- It only takes a few minutes on your phone, so there’s less time to change your mind.
- Using credit or debit cards can make it feel like you are not betting with real money.
- Online betting companies send lots of ads to make you think about gambling all the time.
- Special offers can convince you to spend more time and money on gambling than you had planned.
- Special offers and free games can make it seem easy to win money. But most people lose more than they win.
- Some overseas gambling companies are not allowed to operate in Australia, but they do. If you win, you may not get your money.
- Some online providers are dodgy. They take your money and disappear.
Tips to make it less risky
- Make gambling something you do sometimes, just for fun.
- Don’t gamble when you’re feeling down. It can make you feel worse.
- Don’t expect to make money from gambling.
- Set a weekly limit of how much money you can spend on gambling and stick to it.
- Keep a record of how much you spend.
- Set time limits for gambling and stick to them.
- Take regular breaks when you gamble so you don’t lose track of time.
- Don’t drink alcohol while you gamble.
- Don’t gamble when you should be doing other things, like working or spending time with your family.
- Be honest with your partner, family or friends about how much money and time you spend on gambling.
- Think about how your family and friends feel about your gambling.
What to do if you feel the urge to gamble
- If you feel an urge to gamble, keep busy doing something else.
- Wait for the urge to pass. It can feel very strong at the start, but over time it will go away.
- Don’t gamble if you are feeling sad, shamed or stressed. It will make things worse in the long run. Go for a walk instead or yarn with someone about how you are feeling.