Get help and support
Worried about someone else's betting?
When your mum or dad or someone you care about is betting too much, it can be really stressful and hard to know what to do or where to turn.
If their betting causes arguments, you may worry about your safety, or the safety of people close to you.
It can hurt if they seem to care more about betting than about you.
It's also hard not to think about money and if there will be enough to live on.
If a friend is gambling you may feel like you're losing them, and want to help but don't know how.
We can help you with free information and advice for coping.
What to look out for
There are signs to look for if you think someone has a gambling problem. They may:
- seem down or moody
- spend less time doing family things and stop going out
- stop doing things they usually do or disappear from home for long periods
- spend lots of time talking about betting
- obsess over the odds when watching sport
- argue for no reason
- miss work or school
- borrow or take money from family and friends
- owe money
- get behind with bills and forget to buy food.
What you can do
The good news is lots of people take the first steps towards getting help when they understand how much their betting is hurting people close to them.
But talking to someone about their betting can be very difficult. Especially if you're not sure how they will react.
If you're worried that someone close to you has a betting problem, think about first talking to:
- Gambler's Help Youthline on 1800 262 376
- a friend or family member
- a teacher or student welfare coordinator
- your doctor.
Ask them to help you work out the best way to approach the situation.
We can help. Contact us today
Gambler's Help Youthline
Call 1800 262 376 for advice and support, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. It's anonymous, confidential and free.
Or chat online with a counsellor at Gambling Help Online. This service is also available 24/7.
If you are deaf, or have a hearing or speech impairment, contact us through the National Relay Service.